I don't think there is a more unique national park than Glacier Bay Alaska! You can only get there by boat or sea plane. The park rangers boarded our ship by no easy task: their ranger boat captain is a pro at matching the speed of the cruise liner, pulling up along side the ship and keeping a steady speed while the rangers climb a rope ladder, carrying bags of souvenirs and teaching supplies! They had a "floating visitor center" at a table in the observation lounge. It was so cool! For all that work, of course we had to buy some souvenir patches & stickers! We were beyond in awe. I only wish we'd known when they were boarding and could have witnessed them boarding like champs!
On the way to the glacier we say families of otters and sea lions. They were swimming in the turquoise ocean water and lounging on "bergies" (small icebergs). At first we went to the bow of the ship, but it was really crowded. So we went and found a deck on a lower level to experience it with just us. The glacier itself was magnificent! It moves 2-3 feet per day, falling into the sea as it reaches the shore. The glacier begins a mile behind the shore front. I'm so glad I packed binoculars! Dad & I both had separate moments of viewing the glaciers and huge chunks of it broke off and crashed into the ocean!! It was amazing!
After the glacier was far out of site, we went and played games at the Galaxy Pavilion. Dad did the soccer goal challenge and made a few goals against a mechanically moving "goalie". He was awesome! :) Josie & Charlie did virtual games: Charlie a race car and Josie a zombie/creature shooter game. After dinner we went to a comedy show with Jared Kassebaum. In his intro, he mentioned he's from Indiana then asked if anyone in the crowd is from Indiana. Of course we all hollered from the back row of the smallish club. As he asked what part, we were all shocked to learn his parents live down the street! Jared says he lives in LA now but goes to Geist Coffee around the corner all the time when he's visiting home! A lady snuck over to me right after and said, "We're from Fishers too! We live on Cumberland!" ha! SMALL WORLD!!
Before going to bed I went to try to watch the sunset. But the sun stays up for so long in the summer here. I was too tired every night to stay up for it. Although the photo I took tonight was worth staying up a bit longer. This earth is so gorgeous. Our Creator and our Father truly made wonders beyond wonders!






No comments:
Post a Comment