Wednesday, June 24, 2026

The Summer of Independence

 

Charlie is 12, Josie is 14, and Perry is 16 with a drivers license. For the first time all my kids are of an age comfortable and capable enough to go and do stuff on their own. 

At the beginning of Summer I declared this year their “Summer of Independence”! We have encouraged them to go ride bikes and skateboards with friends. Meet friends at the movies, or a restaurant. Perry should take his siblings on outings and get their buddies to meet them. We are empowering them to be confident, capable, and responsible.

So far Josie has gone to movies with just friends twice. 

Charlie has had friends over and twice starting making them all lunch before I could even say “lunch time”. 

Perry is driving himself to meet up with friends and organizing stuff to do.

As for me, this is the summer I take the boat out during the day on my own with the kids and their friends. I am comfortable doing all the boating things, except parking it on the lift when we’re done.

No comments: