Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired

***If you have a weak stomach, or are feeling slightly ill yourself... do NOT read this post.***
Our poor Kaden caught an un-named nasty stomach bug. He was sick from Sunday until last night. It was so horrible! I never realized how helpless a parent feels watching their sad, sick little child feel so yucky. All we could do was hold him and try to get him to drink. During the moments he was feeling better, we watched him carefully and followed him around with a bowl. He's finally feeling better, thankfully. It's been one long week. Spencer gave him a priesthood blessing, and I was praying so hard. All I wanted to do was take his pain away. Well... it went away for Kaden eventually, and got passed on to me by Tuesday. At 3am I got up when Kaden woke up feeling yucky again. Then a half hour later I was crazy sick. I have never been so sick in all my life. Spencer stayed home from the lab and took care of me and Kaden (oh I love you honey!). He kept track of how many times I had to go "gack" in the bowl or restroom... it was over 30! I think my previous stomach flu record was like 8 or so in one day. This day, I couldn't keep anything down, which resulted in a trip to the ER at 5pm. I was incredibly dehydrated. After they got the IV in with some Zofran (ahhh, bless you Zofie!) I felt so much better. I noticed then that my hands were so zapped of moisture that my knuckles were cracked and bleeding and my fingers were shriveled up. They looked the way my Grandma Wilde's hands did, except she had better color.

Anyway, they gave me 3 liters of the saline stuff and I didn't even need to use the restroom... my body soaked it all up. I told them my lower back was hurting (probably from all the wonderful moments kneeling at the potty) and the doctor told the nurse to give me morphine. Well that was a bad idea. It made me sick to my stomach and I gacked again. When I finally started feeling better, I told them how thirsty and hungry I was. But they said, "Sorry, only ice chips until tomorrow." ACK!
We were released and got to go home at 11pm. Only to hear that Kaden had thrown up in his bed while our friends were watching him for us. Poor Kiddie Kade! (Thanks again Dan & Laura... and I'm still really sorry he gacked on your watch.)

When I awoke the next day, I felt so much better. But I heard an all too familiar sound from the bathroom and I shouted..."No no NO!" I ran to find Spencer being sick too. They say all things come in 3's, so it was Spenc's turn to have a go with the nasty bug. Gratefully, it was no where near as bad as mine or Kaden's. I kept praying all day it would stay mild for him, and it did. Although Kaden did have the worst "spit up" all over the carpet. (No it wasn't "Spit up" but it sounds less gross) Luckily, I caught the majority of it. But we still need to borrow a carpet shampooer. Our place wreaks!! Hopefully it'll be gone and our home will be disinfected before Christmas.
Spencer was feeling better today and went into the lab for a few hours this morning. But we're still not feeling 100%. So yep, we're sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Now if any of our local pals are wondering why you didn't get treats from the Joneses yet this year... its because we're sparing you the agony of sharing the "Bah hum-bug" with you. Perhaps you'll get a New Year's treat instead.

11 comments:

NTFalkFamily said...

We sure hope you all get feeling much better soon!

K P said...

So sorry you've been ill!!! Hope better days are ahead for all of you! Love your guts :)

Julie said...

I'm sorry to hear you have all been so sick. That's no fun and being so dehydrated you had to go to the hospital! I got the stomach flu last year 2 days after Christmas, but it only lasted one day, and I never could throw up even though I wanted to just to feel better. My parents had it on Christmas Eve and Brian had it also. I hope you guys are feeling better when Brian, Lee and Lee's mom come to visit! Love you!

DavidandMariAnn said...

There is nothing worse than being sick when your children are sick too!
Glad you're feeling better.

kelli said...

My goodness, that's horrible! And a little disgusting... I'm so sorry! That is NO fun. Sounds miserable, but I'm glad you're beginning to improve!

Bradwich said...

My guess is Norovirus, part of the family Caliciviridae. Short incubation period, short time to be sick with it (1-2 days each). Gastrointestinal infection that causes more to come out the top end than the bottom one. Could easily be called "hurling disease."

Yes, I did just take my test for Infection and Immunity yesterday afternoon... why do you ask?

Bradwich said...

Also, sorry that you've all been sick.

Jen Bowen said...

Yikes! Not a fun week. I'm glad the worst is over.

Gina said...

I hope you guys get better soon. I like the word gack though, a much better alternative. I think I'll start using that. :) I thought your Christmas card was really cute!

Taralyn said...

:( Yikes! I'm glad you are ok and feeling somewhat better.

Doug and Becca said...

Holy Cow! That is one experience I fear and hope I never get. I hate, hate, hate throwing up and I agree with you, there's nothing worse than watching your child throw up and cry when they know they are going to. Its just aweful. luckily we've only havd to deal with one day of it, really only like 6 times at the most for my kids, not 4 days of horrible stomach flu.Then to have it passed on to everyone else is the worst. I am so glad you are all feeling better.